Tuesday, June 19, 2012

More Dabbling With Cookies

     Okay, so I keep getting requests for cookies more than cupcakes so I've accepted the fact that I need to get my butt in gear and really practice my cookie skills. I always get super inspired to try new tecniques with cookies but when it comes down to actually doing it, I totally chicken out for some reason.
     But no more chickening out! My first "project" with my new found determination was dinosaur cookies for my son's class. They turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself. Individually packaged with a cute tag that said: "Summer Playdate? Call: NL" and a phone number, the finished product was quite adorable. It was a cute way to say happy summer to his classmates and open the door to hanging out with friends this summer.
    I've also posted some pics below of an order I had for a similar purpose. The client wanted rice krispies treats instead of cookies shaped like dinosaurs for her son and flowers and butterflies for her daughter. They turned out well but it was A LOT of work! I had to coat all the pieces in chocolate to keep them from getting stale since I was going to decorate with royal icing which would require them to be left out to set and dry overnight. It was a messy job. The coating also helped even out the bumpy surface of the rice krispies treats. I don't think I'll take on rice krispies treats again any time soon. Especially for an order so big! Anyway, all this to say that my cookie decorating skills are slowly but surely getting better. I practiced a lot of the "wet-on-wet" tecnique where RI is piped onto already piped icing while it is still wet. The piped icing sinks into the first layer of icing creating a flat surface appearance rather than raised. Looks cool and you can swirl designs with a toothpick to give it a marbled look.





Rice krispy treat Dinos
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment